Dessert on the grill is usually unexpected, but this one proves how surprisingly tasty it can be.
Source: Canadian Living Magazine, June 2007
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (or blackberries)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 slices pound cakes (1/2 inch / 1 cm thick)
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
Cut 4-foot (1.2 m) piece heavy-duty foil; fold in half. Arrange strawberries, raspberries (or blackberries) and blueberries on 1 side close to center.
Combine sugar and cornstarch; sprinkle over fruit. Sprinkle with lemon juice; toss gently. Fold foil over and seal to form packet. (Make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 hours)
Place on grill over medium heat; close lid and cook, turning once, until hot and juices are thickened, about 10 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Grill cake, turning once, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Arrange on dessert plates. Top each with scoop of ice cream. Spoon berry mixture over top.