Perfect for a cozy night by the fire with a glass of wine, or as a delicious addition to your next cocktail party, this receipe is gluten free and courtesy of the BC Blueberry Council. www.bcblueberries.com
5″ round – Brie, Camambert or any soft rind cheese
1-1/2 cups – Blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup – Red wine
2 tbsp – Balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp – Brown sugar
1 tbsp – Lemon zest
2 tsp – Lemon juice
1/4 tsp – Black pepper
1/8 tsp – Salt
Sprig – Fresh rosemary
1/2 cup – Hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
– Cut the cheese round in half horizontally. Place bottom half, cut side up on a serving platter. Set aside at room temperature with the top half of cheese.
– In a saucepan, bring the blueberries, red wine, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper and salt to a boil.
– Simmer uncovered on medium heat for aproximately 20-30 minutes, until reduced to a thick compote.
– Add the whole rosemary sprig in the last 2 minutes of cooking, then remove.
– Spoon half the hot compote over the bottom half of cheese. Cover with the top half of cheese (cut side down) and top with remaining compote and hazelnuts.
– Serve with fresh fruit and crackers.