topYields: 10 pies
2 cups – all purpose unbleached flour,
plus 1/4 cup for rolling
1/2 tsp – salt
1 cup – unsalted butter – chilled, cut into 1/4″ cubes
1 tbsp – vinegar
4 tbsp – iced water
1 – egg yolk
1 tbsp – milk
2 1/2 cups – blueberries – fresh or frozen
1/4 cup – granulated sugar
2 tbsp – all purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp – lemon zest – finely grated
1 tbsp – lemon juice
2 tsp – fresh ginger – finely grated or 1 tsp of dry
1/4 tsp – ground cinnamon
3 tbsp – unsalted butter – chilled, but into 1/4″ cubes
1 tbsp – coarse sugar for sprinkling
Directions for Dough:
– In a large bowl combine 2 cups of flour plus salt. Using a pastry cutter, add butter, cutting into coarse, pea-sized mixture.
– Tossing with fork, drizzle in vinegar, then iced water a tbsp at a time. Form with hands until dough comes together.
– Form dough into two 1″ thick disks. Seal well in plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
Filling and Assembly:
– Pre-heat oven to 450 ° F ( 232°C ) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Whisk the egg and milk together and set aside.
– In a large bowl, gently mix the blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and cinnamon. If using frozen blueberries, allow to thaw partially.
– Divide one of the pastry disks into 5 portions. Keep the other pastry disk sealed and refrigerated.
– Working one at a time on a floured surface, roll out a portion of pastry into a 5″ round. Trim any rough edges.
– Lighly brush edges of pastry round with egg wash.
– Fill one half of pastry round with 3-4 tablespoons of blueberry mixture and dot with 2 pieces of cubed butter.
– Fold the filled pastry round over and seal the edges firmly together, then crimp or seal with a fork.
– Place on a lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash, score 2 small slits and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
– Repeat with remaining pastry portions and then repeat above steps with the second disk.
– Bake in the middle rack of oven for 18-20 mins, until golden brown.